Sometime in Ancient Greece, Pheidippides made a 25-mile dash from the town of Marathon to Athens to announce the defeat of the Persians. He may not have been too fit to do that and upon announcing, he keeled over and died. However, what he left us was an everlasting legacy: The Marathon. Now, history has a knack of providing us with great insights. The invention of the Marathon as an Olympic sport by Pierre de Coubertin was a nod to the legacy left by a lowly soldier, who was simply discharging his duty. On a larger scale, it also tells us about the intricacies of the sport or exercise called running. In this article, you will learn the various benefits of running.
Running, along with swimming and jogging, is called the holy trinity of freehand exercising. These three are the best forms of cardiovascular exercises one can indulge in, without any adverse side effects. However, like Pheidippides, who died soon after, there are a few precautions that need to be taken, before you embark on this wonderful form of exercise.
Important To Consider
- Never overdo. Knowing one’s limit is of utmost importance. Pheidippides never had an option and he had to cover that distance in pretty quick time. You do not have any such compulsions and in any modern-day conflict, no one runs and informs. They simply call. Sound waves travel faster than the legs.
- A good pair of shoes are always needed to make running comfortably. While you run, there is an added pressure on the ankles and the surrounding muscle group. To prevent your feet from injuries, it is imperative a that good and comfortable pair of shoes are used.
- Always warm-up before you go for a run. Stretch a bit. Running is a form of exercise and if the body is rusty then are chances of injuries.
- It is important to keep the right body form. Do not slouch while you run. The spine needs to be strengthened while you run. The back muscles, as well as the cores, get into action.
- Breathe right. This is important because running is an aerobic exercise and puts a lot of pressure on the cardiovascular system. It also improves breathing.
The Benefits of Running:
- Like swimming, running improves stamina. This is because the lungs expand while the steps are taken. This leads to improved lung capacity.
- Reduces belly fat and overall body fat. Running burns those extra calories. It also helps develop those core muscles.
- Running being and essentially cardiovascular exercise keep the heart-healthy.
- Tones the legs in a big way. Athletes have incredibly toned legs. The reason being running and not just weight training.
- Running stimulates the secretion of serotonin. This helps fight depression. It is also the same reason why it helps in fighting stress.
- It strengthens the bones and joints.