Not everyone is a gym rat. Not everyone would want to spend hours in the gym lifting weights. Fitness, more than being a physical endeavor is essentially a state of mind. If one is not in the perfect zone, the idea of fitness will not be an attractive proposition. However, there are ways to still become a part of the fitness culture. One of the easiest and common routines is walking. We walk. For the most part of the days, unless your work demands, we walk. From one room to another. To run errands. In the park. To a friend’s place. We walk. And we love to. Walking is a leisure activity that comes with great benefits.
Let us have a look at the benefits of walking:
- You carry your own body weight while you walk. Hence, this becomes a weight-bearing exercise minus an expensive gym subscription. The combination of body weight and gravity works wonders on the body.
- Because of the mobile nature of the exercise, there is a direct effect on the heart and the lungs. The lungs expand when you walk and there is increased cardiovascular activity. As a result of this, the health of the heart improves as well as the breathing, both essential processes for survival.
- And improved heart and lungs would mean reduced risks of heart attack and strokes.
- Since walking is a mobile form of exercise, body fat is kept under control. Because of that, blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol are also controlled.
- Mobility also ensures that the muscular-skeletal system of the body is effectively used. Flexibility improves and joints of the body are well exercised.
- Walking ensures stronger bones and greater stability. Also, coordination improves.
- There is a definite increase in muscle strength and because of the improvement that the lungs undergo, an increase in stamina and endurance.
- Walking also acts as a psychological stimulant. It alleviates the mood and eliminates depression and anxiety.
- The lower back and the spine gets a good work out when you walk in the proper posture.
- If augmented with weights, walking can also become a perfect weight training mechanism.
The perfect routine consists of 30 minutes of walking every day. It is not as strenuous as running but the benefits are equal.