The morning walk is one of the best medicine, for both the mind and the body. It not only relaxes the muscles but also refreshes the mind. However, walking other than having a great positive emotional value, has great therapeutic value too. The advantages of going for a walk are many.
Morning Walk Routine
- Walking every day for at least an hour helps you lose around five to seven kilograms of excess weight. Walking prevents you from having obesity, high blood pressure, and heart diseases.
- It is a great stress reliever and does refresh the mind
- Daily walking greatly decreases the secretion of estrogen hormone in women which can in turn help to decrease the risk of breast cancer after menopause.
- Daily walking greatly helps the body maintain the serotonin level which is responsible for keeping stress and high blood pressure in check. It also decreases the level of cholesterol by increasing High-density Lipoprotein.
- Some scientific studies have also indicated that there is a definite increase in the count of T cells, which are handy in the fight against AIDS.
- As I had mentioned in one of the earlier points, walking refreshes the mind and body. It increases the body’s ability to fight against the diseases. It greatly increases the secretions of the adrenal gland which relieves the stress.
- Walking is a great exercise for the joints and the muscles. It induces greater friction of joints and helps the body produce newer joint lubricants thereby preventing the body from having a joint lock. Walking slows down the degeneration of the bones and helps prevent Osteoporosis.
- Walking is also considered to be one of the best cardiovascular exercises. While walking heavy breathing is induced as a result of which the lungs expand. This leads to the expansion of the lung capacity. A healthy lung is one of the best signs of a healthy body.
The Art of Walking
However, before you embark on a walk, certain things need to be kept in mind. Walking, like all bodily functions and movements, is an excursion and does put pressure on the capacity of the individual.
- Know your limits. Do not overexert. It is alright to increase duration and distance over a period in time rather than becoming an overnight star.
- Get yourself a good pair of shoes. Walking puts a great deal of pressure on the knees and the ankles. A good pair of shoes will be able to absorb the pressure and prevent the body from suffering any injury.
- Heart patients are advised to take precautions. Never go for a walk immediately after a meal, since the entire blood flow is directed towards digesting the food.
Have a great walk and be healthy.